Government Homoeopathic Medical College, Calicut
was the first Graduate Homoeopathic Medical College
in Asia. It is affiliated with the Medical College
of the University of Calicut. The faculty also includes
an on-site hospital. The college was founded in
1976 and situated first at Karaparamba, Kozhikode,
acquiring a mansion that belonged to the manager
of the Pearce Leslie Cashew Factory during the British
Raj. The present college building was later constructed
in the same area.
The college provides graduate and post graduate
courses in Homoeopathy. The graduate course is a
Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery. Post-graduate
courses offered include MD (Hom) in various specialties.
The courses are conducted under the auspices of
the University of Calicut and are standardized by
regulations of the governing body, the Central Council
of Homoeopathy, India. The Outpatient department
started functioning at Karaparamba during 1984.
The para-clinical and clinical departments were
shifted to present site during 1987.The attached
hospital has a 150 beds and eight outpatient sections
with more than 1000 patients per day.
Dr. K.S. Prakasam was appointed as the first principal
, then Dr.G.Leelavathi Amma, Dr.Kumara Prasad.K.P,
Dr.A.N.Balachandran, Dr.R.Jayakumar, Dr.M.Abdul
Lathif , Dr.A.Esmail Sait, Dr. P.Muraleedharan,
Dr.K.B.Rameshan, Dr.V.M.Janakikutty, Dr.T.Abdu Rahiman,
Dr.N.S. Valsalakumari continued service and now
Dr.C.T.Anila Kumari serving as principal to the
Homoeopathic Medical College.