Gelsemium is very important Medicine of our Materia Medica, which belongs to a vegetable kingdom. Generally homoeopathic physician consider that Gels is only used for dullness, dizziness, drowsiness, trembling and paralyzing conditions.
This shows that Gelsemium has a very limited scope but it is not true because Gelsemium is a remedy which has a great sphere of action on mind and body both. In one word we can say that Gels is a single remedy cure. It is antipsoric remedy which is able to cure so many incurable diseases and clinical conditions.
1. Bad effects from : fright, fear, exciting news
2. Anticipatory anxiety (exams, of failure, in a crowd)
3. Fear of doctors and dentists. Fear appearing in public
4. Apathy regarding his illness
5. Averse to company, yet fear of being alone
6. Lack of inco-ordination of muscles. It causes overpowering aching, tiredness, heaviness, paretic etc
7. Influneza with malaise, never well since influenza
8. Tremors or twitching of single muscles, face, chin, tongue etc
9. Paralysis of various groups of muscles
10. Thirstless in all complaints
11. Less appetite, but can take food or drinks
12. Sensation as if heart stopped breathing on dropping asleep
13. Heavy dropping of eyelids, orbital neuralgia with contraction and twitching of muscles.
Blackwood says it is frequently indicated during the early stages of the disease. The patient is nervous, excitable, hysterical type in whom the nervous symptoms predominate.
Clarke says,”Gelsemium and its action is excellent. He calls it a drug of importance in homoeopathy, not for the great number of symptoms but because of the number of well marked and clear characteristic symptoms, which correspond to symptoms constantly met with in every day practice”.