Dr Rajat Chattopadhyay is a leading academician
and practitioner, Head of the Department in Medicine at Mahesh Bhattacharyya
Homoeopathic Medical College Calcutta. He had presented many papers
in seminars, authored books and articles, received awards from reputed
organizations. Here he presents a case of Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease.
A female patient aged 27year, unmarried, assistant
of an old allopathic physician had been suffering from irregular and
painful menstruation and diagnosed as a case of bilateral polycystic
ovarian disease consulted me She presented irregular, painful menstruation
for last 3 years, and the character of blood being clotted, blackish
and scanty in amount. No significant past history. Strong sycotic
family history in proliferative disorders like warts, tumours etc
Her blood parameters are normal and Ultrasongram of pelvis reported
“ Multiple cysts in the ovary"
· Physical constitution – short but stout with dark complexion.
· Chilly patient; general aggravation in winter.
· Appetite – good.
· Desire for egg, fish, extra salt, salted food++.
· Intolerance to onion++.
· Moderate thirst for large quantities at long interval.
· Stool hard, occasionally with mucus.
· Urine clear at regular interval.
· Sleep sound.
· Dream of dead persons (specially of her dead father), falling
from the height++.
· Tongue – large, flabby and moist with little whitish
coating & imprints of teeth.
· Palm – warm & moist.
· Teeth have irregular alignment.
· Mind - Co-operative but suspicious.
Dull weak memory, cannot narrate her problem properly.
CHARACTERISTIC TOTALITY :
Mental generals :
· Mentally dull
· Weak memory, with difficulty to express her troubles.
Physical generals :
· Dream of falling from height
· Dream of dead persons
· Dream of his dead father
· Chilly patient
· Aggravation from onion
· Craving for salty food
Particular Symptoms :
· Painful menstruation
· Character of the menstrual blood – clotted, black.
RUBRICS TAKEN FOR REPERTORISATION :
· MIND, DULLNESS, SLUGGISHNESS, difficulty in thinking and
· MIND, SUSPICIOUS
· MIND, MEMORY; Weakness of, expressing one’s self, for
· SLEEP, DREAMS, Dead relatives
· SLEEP, DREAMS, Dead of the
· SLEEP, DREAMS, Falling from high places
· GENERALITIES, WINTER in
· GENERALITIES, FOOD, onions agg.
· STOMACH, DESIRES, salt things
· GENITALIA FEMALE, MENSES, painful, Dysmenorrhoea
RESULT OF REPERTORISATION
· Lycopodium, Phosphorus scored highest & got 15 each,covering
the seven symptoms out of ten symptoms.
· Thuja got 13 marks and covered the eight symptoms out of
· Lycopodium and Phosphorus scored highest & got 15 each,
but Thuja covered the eight symptoms out of ten symptoms. After consulting
with Materia medica, Thuja is preferred to be prescribed first. Typical
sycotic background, sycotic constitution, chilliness of the patient
gave more importance to prescribe Thuja.
Prescriptions and follow up
Thuja occidentalis 30 / 4 doses OD on 12/06/2002.
Patient was advised to come after 45 days.First two months there was
no such improvement, but in general there was no aggravation and patient
was in good condition. Her appetite, sleep, thirst all were normal.
After two months the painful menstruation was not
so severe as it was in the past. The general feeling of the patient
was much better. The character of the blood was also changed from
black to reddish and there was no clot (in the last menstruation).
Since after the first prescription only placebo was prescribed in
different form from time to time.
On 10/01/2003 the menstruation became again painful
with little clots with the flow, but the general feelings of the patient
was better. Thuja 200 / 1 dose was prescribed.
Since then for four months placebo was given and
the patient was totally symptom free. The menstruation was regular
in time, the character of the blood was red with no clot, no pain
Ultrasonography done on 10/05/2003, and study of
uterus & ovaries appeared within normal limits with no evidence
of any cyst seen in ovaries Since then till today patient is better
and there is no complaints of irregular or painful menstruation.
Refer the plates I and II.